Situated in Anderson,Indiana, Anderson University strives to educate people for a life of faith and service in the church and society. This distinctive educational institution is dedicated to cultivating in each individual an awareness of the physical world, a sense of history, spiritual maturity, and an appreciation of culture.Founded in 1917 by the Church of God movement, the university aims to graduate people with a global perspective.In the beginning, it was known as Anderson Bible Training School, which had grown tremendously to offer wider general education programs. Later it changed its name to Anderson College and Theological Seminary, then to Anderson College and ultimately to Anderson University.Today the university has grown to include an undergraduate liberal arts program, a graduate School of Theology, a center for adult education, and the College of Professional Studies.Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association, Anderson University is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students. The programs and courses offered are fully accredited and are taught by exceptionally qualified and experienced faculties.With its scenic campus, the university offers graduate programs such as the School of Theology, Falls School of Business, School of Education and the School of Nursing. A wide range of majors are provided in areas such as Accounting, Athletic Training, Chemistry, Computer Science, History, Psychology, Social Work, General Studies in Art and Design, Church Music, Fine Arts-Studio, and Mass Communication.Adult Learning Programs offered in the School of Adult Learning; International Education, Kissinger Learning Center which provides group and individualized programs to help increase efficiency in writing, reading, and learning strategies are additional facilities.In addition, this private Christian institution provides Pre-Professional Health programs, Honors Program, and ADVANCE program.Extracurricular activities which facilitate social, emotional, physical, intellectual, and spiritual development are promoted.On the university campus is Nicholson University Library which holds a wide range of books, periodicals, journals, and government documents. Archives and special collections focus on unpublished materials such as letters, manuscripts, and reports.The Museum of Bible and Near Eastern Studies at Anderson University houses original artifacts from many periods of the Ancient Near East.In addition to the above, the campus features Reardon Auditorium, 132,000-square-foot Kardatzke Wellness Center, Krannert Fine Arts Center, Morrison Hall, Morrison Statue, O.C. Lewis Gymnasium and Broadcasting Center.True to its role as an educational institution, the university welcomes students of all nationalities, races, and faiths.
Anderson received his B.A. from Colorado State University in 1971 and his Ph.D. from Harvard in 1981. He has taught at Harvard and at the University of Colorado, Boulder, where he is currently Professor Emeritus of History. He has held fellowships from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the Charles Warren Center of Harvard University, the Guggenheim Foundation and the Rockefeller Foundation.
He is the author or editor of five books including Crucible of War: The Seven Years' War and the Fate of Empire in British North America, 1754-1766 (New York: Alfred A. Knopf, February 11, 2000 London: Faber and Faber, 2000), which won the Mark Lynton History Prize and the 2001 Francis Parkman Prize as best book in American history. Together with Andrew Cayton (Miami University), he has recently published The Dominion of War: Empire and Liberty in North America, 1500-2000 (New York: Viking London: Atlantic Books, 2005).
His newest book, The War That Made America: A Short History of the French and Indian War (Viking) is a companion to the four-hour PBS series "The War that Made America," which was broadcast January 18 and 25, 2006.  The series and book were released to coincide with the 250th anniversary of the French and Indian War, organized by French and Indian War 250 Inc., as part of a collaborative effort with a variety of museums, historic sites and educational workshops spanning several states.
In late 2006, it was announced that Anderson and Cayton have been assigned the volume on the later colonial period (Volume II: 1674-1764) of the newest (and partially published) Oxford History of the United States.
Professor Anderson retired from the University of Colorado-Boulder in 2018. 
Paul Christopher Anderson named University historian
A longtime faculty member who teaches history to students will tell the story of the University’s history to the world. Associate professor and graduate coordinator, Paul Christopher Anderson, Ph.D. has been named Clemson University’s historian.
Paul Christopher Anderson, Clemson’s Historian, effective May 16th.
“Dr. Anderson is an outstanding scholar and has shown a true passion to bring history to life in a highly consumable way to guide humanity into a better future,” said Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost Robert H. Jones. Anderson will report directly to Jones while remaining engaged in the History Department’s and his colleagues’ activities.
In his new role, Anderson will build on the significant efforts of the previous historian, Jerry Reel. Anderson will develop written summaries and interpretations of Clemson’s history to continue Reel’s work, collaborating with University administration, current and future history task force committees, and curating the University’s historical records in partnership with University Libraries Special Collections.
Anderson’s position will be essential to discovering and telling the complete history of Clemson University. His work serves to develop programs and initiatives aimed at understanding and interpreting Clemson’s history evidenced through examples such as History in Plain Sight events and historic tours or materials displayed on a dedicated website. Additionally, Anderson will develop recommendations for historical markers for consideration by the Board of Trustees and provide advice and oversight on matters of history and tradition that require interpretation, expertise and sensitivity.
Anderson joined Clemson University in 2000 after graduating with his Ph.D. from the University of Mississippi and quickly made an impact. He was among those profiled in The Best 300 Professors publication by the Princeton Review. In 2004, he was named Alumni Master Teacher, an award for outstanding undergraduate classroom instruction, which is presented to a faculty member nominated by the student body and selected by the Student Alumni Council.
His areas of special interest are the American South and the American Civil War. Anderson’s book, A Short History of the American Civil War, will be published in September 2019 by Bloomsbury (UK).
Anderson University - History
Located in the vibrant city of Anderson, in the rapidly growing region of Upstate South Carolina, Anderson University is a selective, comprehensive Christian liberal arts university offering bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees on campus, online and on at the University Center in Greenville. Students may choose from 59 major degree programs, 38 concentrations, 46 minors, 18 master’s and doctoral degrees and 8 certification programs.
Anderson University is among the fastest growing private universities in the country, according to the U.S. Department of Education and the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac. Increased enrollment only tells part of the story, however the reason for it is Anderson’s reputation as a premier institution of higher learning and status among the best regional universities in the South as recognized by both U.S. News & World Report and The Princeton Review. Further, U.S. News & World Report for 2020 named Anderson as one of the “Best Value” schools among regional universities in the south, and the Wall Street Journal named Anderson #27 for best student engagement among all universities in the United States.
At the heart of our educational program is an uncompromising commitment to the liberal arts as a means of preparing students with both a breadth and depth of knowledge they need not only to be successful in the career of their choice, but to be successful in all realms of life—in family, community, work, and church.
We're glad you're exploring our website today. The best way to learn about AU is to see our campus and talk to our students, faculty, and staff. Follow this link to schedule a visit, or call our Office of Admissions at 864-231-2030.
At Anderson University, we educate the whole person. We want to nurture our students to grow in their knowledge, personal health, and in faith.
Anderson University - History
Part-Time Faculty - History
Anderson University (South Carolina) and the College of Arts and Sciences seek instructors for upcoming adjunct position openings in History. Areas of immediate need include US History, World History and South Carolina History. Anderson University is an innovative, entrepreneurial, premier comprehensive, liberal arts university affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention. Candidates with a strong Christian value system, lifestyle, and commitment to the integration of faith and learning are encouraged to apply.
Minimum requirements are a Master's degree, which includes 18 graduate hours in the teaching discipline. Teaching experience at the college level preferred. Classes may include online, hybrid, traditional seated, evening or off-site offerings.
To ensure full consideration, please send a letter of application, curriculum vita, statement of teaching philosophy and an Anderson University Faculty Application to:
Jennifer Campbell, Administrative Assistant, College of Arts and Sciences
Anderson, SC 29621
Applications by email may be sent to [email protected] . Electronic submissions are preferred.
About our Commitment to Diversity
Anderson University is committed to developing a diverse campus and culture that is reflective of God’s Kingdom and biblical unity. Anderson University does not illegally discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, disability, age, religion, genetic information, veteran or military status, or any other basis on which the University is prohibited from discrimination under local, state, or federal law, in its employment or in the provision of its services, including but not limited to its programs and activities, admissions, educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other University-administered programs. In order to fulfill its purpose, the University may legally discriminate on the basis of religion in employment. The University has been granted exemption from certain regulations promulgated under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 which conflict with the University's religious tenets.
Please direct inquiries about our commitment to diversity to Dr. L. Dianne King, Associate Vice President for Student Development/Dean of Student Success/ Title IX Coordinator, Thrift Library Office 203, 316 Boulevard, Anderson, SC 29621, (864) 231-2026, [email protected] or to the Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Education at [email protected]
Anderson, South Carolina 29621
Contact Us | 864.231.2000
Anderson Court House Edit
Cherokee first settled the area of what is today the city of Anderson. During the American Revolution, the Cherokee sided with the British. After the American Revolutionary War, the Cherokee's land was acquired as war reparations and colonized. In 1791, the South Carolina Legislature created the Washington District, which comprised Greenville, Anderson, Oconee, and Pickens Counties. The Washington District was then divided into Greenville and Pendleton districts. Anderson, Pickens, and Oconee comprised the newly created Pendleton district. Anderson was settled in 1826 and incorporated in 1828 as Anderson Court House, separate from the Pendleton district. The name Anderson is in honor of Robert Anderson, who fought in the American Revolutionary War and also explored the Anderson region in the mid-18th century. Anderson District (later Anderson County after 1867) was also established in 1826 out of the Pendleton district.
In 1851, the Johnson Female Seminary was established in Anderson as the first college of the town, and was named after William Bullein Johnson. One year later, the seminary was renamed Johnson University.  During the American Civil War, Johnson University was closed and converted into a Confederate treasury. On May 1, 1865, Union forces invaded Anderson looking for the Confederate treasury. The treasury office of Anderson was ransacked by Union forces, and the main building of Johnson University was used as a Union headquarters. A minor skirmish erupted at the Battle of Anderson, leading to two Union casualties.  After the war, a Union garrison was stationed in Anderson.
The Electric City Edit
Anderson became one of the first cities in the Southeastern United States to have electricity. Electricity to Anderson was established by William C. Whitner in 1895 at a hydroelectric plant on the Rocky River, giving the city the name the Electric City. Anderson also became the first city in the world to supply a cotton gin by electricity. In 1895, Anderson Court House was renamed to Anderson.   In 1897, Whitner's plant was upgraded with a 10,000-volt generating station at Portman Shoals. Whitner's power plant at Portman Shoals became the first hydroelectric plant in the United States to generate high voltage without step-up transformers .  The Portman Dam was swept away in 1901, forcing Anderson into darkness until it was rebuilt in 1902. [ citation needed ]
Anderson College Edit
In 1911, Anderson College was established by the Anderson Chamber of Commerce. Anderson College was a successor to the Johnson Female Seminary and is affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention, in particular the First Baptist Church of Anderson. Anderson College became a co-educational, two-year junior college in 1930, and in 2006, it became Anderson University. 
Anderson is located in the northwest corner of South Carolina on the Piedmont plateau. Anderson is a 1-hour drive from the Blue Ridge Mountains and a 4-hour drive from the South Carolina coast. Anderson lies roughly at the midpoint of the busy I-85 corridor between Atlanta and Charlotte.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 14.6 square miles (37.9 km 2 ), of which 14.6 square miles (37.8 km 2 ) are land and 0.039 square miles (0.1 km 2 ), or 0.30%, is covered by water. 
Historic districts Edit
- — A ballfield/stadium on 12 acres (4.9 ha) of land on White Road, it was renovated in 2007 with stadium-style seating. It is home to the Anderson University Trojans. — A 300-acre (120 ha) area, it includes the Anderson Civic Center, a 37,000-square-foot (3,400 m 2 ) facility, as well as one of South Carolina's largest amphitheaters that can accommodate 15,000 people, a huge castle-like play structure with play equipment, a 64-acre (26 ha) sports center with seven baseball/softball fields, three soccer fields, a disc golf course, and eight tennis courts. The lake has a park, picnic shelters, and miles of nature trail. The center is Anderson's largest recreational area.
Anderson's economy revolves around manufacturing. It has over 230 manufacturers, including 22 international companies. In the county, Anderson has a thriving business climate. Its top major industries include manufacturers of automotive products, metal products, industrial machinery, plastics, publishing, and textiles. Two industries that many times interconnect are the plastic and automotive sectors. More than 27 BMW suppliers are the Upstate region, which is recognized internationally as an automotive supplier hub. The plastics industry has a strong presence in the Upstate, with 244 plastic companies located within the 10 counties of the state's northwest corner. Anderson County, in particular, has 11 automotive suppliers, and is a major player in the plastic industry, with 27 plastics companies located within its borders. [ citation needed ]
AnMed Health is one of the top employers in the county, and the primary healthcare network for Anderson. AnMed Health Medical Center is the main medical facility, offering all the amenities of a standard hospital, as well as a heart and vascular center, and stroke/neurological center. Located 2.5 miles north of the facility is the AnMed Health Campus,which includes a women's and children's hospital, minor care, cancer center, speech and occupational therapy, and more. The AnMed Rehabilitation Hospital is located between the two facilities. AnMed has recently received national attention being awarded the "National Presidents Circle Award," and the "American College of Cardiology Foundation’s 2012 NCDR ACTION Registry–GWTG Platinum Performance Achievement Award."
In addition to these three network hospitals, AnMed also operates a number of smaller facilities throughout the city and county that range from a free clinic and minor care to doctor's offices.
The city of Anderson is served by the Anderson County School System (specifically, Anderson School District Five). The school district has 11 elementary schools, five middle schools, and two high schools.
- Calhoun Academy of the Arts
- Centerville Elementary
- Concord Elementary
- Homeland Park Primary School
- McLees Academy of Leadership
- Midway Elementary School of Science and Engineering
- Nevitt Forest Community School of Innovation
- New Prospect STEM Academy
- North Pointe Elementary School
- Varennes Academy of Communications and Technology
- Whitehall Elementary, A Global Communication School
- McCants Middle School
- Southwood Academy of the Arts
- Robert Anderson Middle School
- Glenview Middle School
- Anderson Christian School
- Boulevard Child Enrichment Center
- Day Star School
- First Presbyterian Church Day School
- Grace Kindergarten
- New Covenant School
- Oakwood Christian School
- St Joseph Catholic School
- Temple Christian Academy
- West Anderson Christian Academy
Higher education Edit
Anderson has a public library, a branch of the Anderson County Library System. 
Anderson is served by Anderson County Regional Airport (IATA: AND, ICAO: KAND). The airport is 3 miles (4.8 km) away from Anderson and has 2 runways runway 5/23 is 6,000 feet (1,800 m) and runway 17/35 is 5,000 feet (1,500 m). The airport also has helipads. The airport has no control tower, but is able to accommodate regional jet aircraft. In addition, the airport has a small terminal.
Roads and highways Edit
Anderson has five signed exits on I-85, currently the city's only freeway. Several notable highways pass through the city, including U.S. Route 76 and U.S. Route 178 co-signed along Clemson Boulevard, also known as SC-Bus 28, and U.S. Route 29 and Route 187 leading to Hartwell, Georgia, to the south and Greenville to the north.
In 2011, construction began on a new east–west connector that is about 3 mi long between Clemson Boulevard and South Carolina Highway 81.  On August 16, 2010, the connector was voted to have four lanes with turn and bike lanes, and a completion date set in October 2012. 
On November, 8th, 2013, the East-West Parkway formally opened to traffic.
Public transit Edit
Anderson has four bus routes (Blue, Green, Red, and Gold) that travel to most major areas of the city, running every hour.  and also receives service from Clemson Area Transit (CATS) via the 4U route.  The city uses both newer hybrid buses and older style trolleys resembling Anderson's old streetcars. Inter-city bus travel is available through Greyhound Lines, located on West Whitner Street near downtown.
One of the Southeast High Speed Rail Corridor alternatives for a Charlotte - Greenwood - Atlanta route includes a stop at Anderson.   This would mark the first time that passenger rail reached Anderson, since the passing of Piedmont and Northern Railway in ca. 1947   and the Blue Ridge Railway in ca. 1951 from Anderson.  
|U.S. Decennial Census|
At the census  of 2000, 25,514 people, 10,641 households, and 6,299 families were residing in the city. The population density was 1,843.7 people/sq mi (711.8/km 2 ). The 12,068 housing units averaged 872.1/sq mi (336.7/km 2 ). The racial makeup of the city was 63.12% White, 34.01% African American, 0.22% Native American, 0.78% Asian American, 0.72% from other races, and 1.16% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 1.48% of the population.
Of the 10,641 households, 25.4% had children under 18 living with them, 36.9% were married couples living together, 18.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.8% were not families. About 36.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 16.3% had someone living alone who was 65 or older. The average household size was 2.22, and the average family size was 2.89.
In the city, the age distribution was 22.2% under 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 26.3% from 25 to 44, 20.4% from 45 to 64, and 20.4% who were 65 or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 82.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over there were 77.5 males.
Anderson is the central city of an urbanized area with a total population of 70,530 (2000 census). This urban area is within the larger Greenville-Spartanburg metropolitan statistical area.
Anderson is governed using the mayor-council system. The mayor is elected at-large. The city council consists of eight members six are elected from districts and the other two are elected at-large.
- (1976–2020), actor (Black Panther, 42, Get on Up, Captain America: Civil War, Avengers: Endgame)  , Major League Baseball player with Philadelphia Athletics and Cleveland Indians from 1947 to 1953 , state legislator , record producer  , novelist, poet, and scholar , professional football player , winner of MTV's Legally Blonde the Musical: The Next Elle Woods , actor (God Friended Me) , professional football player  , professional football player, Canadian Football League , arranger, composer, conductor, entertainer, and recording artist honorary alumnus (D. Hum.) from Anderson University (1799–1861), United States congressman from Georgia , retired NBA basketball player with the Phoenix Suns and Cleveland Cavaliers, three-time All-Star , former governor of South Carolina and speaker of the United States House of Representatives , Miss South Carolina USA 1994, Miss USA 1994, television personality and journalist , dancer/singer in popular boy band V Factory , professional baseball player with Boston Red Sox from 1974 to 1989, member of National Baseball Hall of Fame, class of 2009 , actress on television series 90210 and The Following , Negro league professional baseball player from 1908 to 1929, manager/coach from 1929 to 1940, member of National Baseball Hall of Fame, Class of 2006 , Negro league professional baseball player and manager  , Negro league professional baseball player  , former AFL and NFL football player, two-time All American at Michigan State University, 1965–66 , the movie Radio was based on his life with T.L. Hanna High School in Anderson, SC. , generally recognized as the pioneer founder of Phoenix, Arizona , Southern soul and blues artist, recorded his first record on Vee Jay Records. The Beatles first recorded on the Vee Jay label. His last job was a DJ at WANS radio in Anderson.
Anderson has two sister cities, as designated by Sister Cities International.: 
Anderson University - History
Anderson University and the Church of God Movement (Anderson, IN) have a rich heritage. The Anderson University & Church of God Archives focuses on collecting, arranging, preserving and describing historical records, such as letters, manuscripts, photographs, and reports, so that they may be accessed for research. For a more thorough overview, see the archives guide. For materials viewable online, follow links in the sections below.
- - The Gospel Trumpet (later Vital Christianity) was the primary publishing vehicle for the Church of God from 1881-2007. It is an ideal research tool for those interested in learning more about the prominent leaders, historical events, or unique beliefs that helped lay the foundation for what is now the Church of God. Note that copyrighted issues (1924 and later) are accessible only on campus or to current faculty, staff, and students of Anderson University. For off-campus access to these materials click here. - Annual minister’s list and index of congregations and vital statistics for the Church of God. Note that volumes are embargoed until five years after publication date. - Historical issues of Anderson University’s student run newspaper. Issues become available here five years after publication. - Anderson University's annual yearbook (ceased publishing in 2007). - A variety of historical alumni publications (mostly 1920s-1950s) that existed prior to the publication of the current alumni magazine, Signatures. - Scholarship produced by Anderson students, including honors theses, Scholars’ Day papers, and senior chapel speeches. - Photographs from Church of God and Anderson College history.
Do You Know the History of Your Favorite Corner Spots?
The sidewalk is bustling with activity: students grabbing a bagel from Bodos or a snack from Sheetz, families and Charlottesville townies eating out on the sidewalk at their favorite restaurant, tourists stocking up on UVA merch from Mincer’s. There’s a nurse at Roots grabbing salads for coworkers and a group of people with yoga mats slung over their shoulders entering the Corner Juice. The Corner is a community hub for everyone from students to tourists.
Shortly after the cornerstone of the University of Virginia was laid just a few yards away as Thomas Jefferson and others looked on, a small corner of boarding houses and restaurants began to spring up around the University that was separated from the city of Charlottesville. Today, the Corner consists of eight blocks chock full of shops and restaurants, representing the intersection of the University and the greater Charlottesville area. Although UVA becomes noticeably quieter when the students go home for the summer, the pulse of the Corner activity continues as summer students and locals frequent the businesses there.
From the time of horse and buggies to today’s Lime scooters, many establishments have come and gone, while some have stood the test of time. Regardless of who occupies a spot on University Avenue, the spirit of the main drag endures and many spots linger in students’ memories long after graduation.
Mural Brings Poet Laureate Professor’s Work to Life on UVA’s Corner
Joined by Alexander “Sandy” Gilliam, University history officer and long-time Charlottesville resident, we’ve taken a deeper look at some of those key buildings and their transformations through the years.
1515 University Ave.
The building now known only by its street address, 1515, was first constructed in 1896 to be a student boardinghouse run by Mrs. Todd. Gilliam remembers many of the now-commercial businesses on Elliewood Avenue and past Bodo’s on University Avenue as homes run by widowed women for rowdy young men at the pre-coeducational University.
After its life as a boarding house, the front part was renovated around the 1930s and 1515 was split down the middle to allow for two different businesses within. The left side was The Cavalier, otherwise known as the Cavalier Diner, operated by Charles Smith, who served sandwiches at his soda fountain. According to “Around the Corner: After World War I,” a book by the late Charlottesville resident Joseph Eddins, “[Smith] also operated the Cavalier Pressing Club which catered to students cleaning and pressing needs. This was in the rear part of his half of the building and had a door in the back for clothing drop-offs and pick-ups.”
The right side of the building housed Jamieson’s Book Store. The proprietor, Mr. T. Jamieson, used to work for the Anderson Brothers Book Store down the street. Eddins wrote that Jamieson loved books so much he felt he needed to own his own store.
After the closure of the Cavalier Diner and Jamieson’s, 1515 was opened up again to contain Lloyd’s Rexall Drugstore and, prior to 1515, was the home of the UVA Student Bookstore.
Now the site of a University-owned, open-concept student study and hang-out spot, 1515 University Ave. encompasses the spirit of the Corner as a gathering place for the community that surrounds the University. The student space features a stage for performances, a coffee shop for hungry studiers, rooms for relaxation, rehearsals, watching TV and playing games. [Learn more about the 1515 space here.]
1417 University Ave.
Anderson Brothers Book store, established in 1876, was the largest student bookstore in Charlottesville before the creation of UVA’s official University Bookstore. Originally only a two-story building with several businesses on the first floor and Anderson Apartments on the second, the building was restored after World War I, according to Eddins, and an additional level was built for more apartment space. The apartments served as convenient housing for the families with loved ones in the hospital and provided permanent residences to a few locals, including the Nance sisters, who operated the University Tea Room across the street.
This spot on the Corner is the site of little-known anecdotes and traditions. In Eddins’ book, he recounts a specific history of the sidewalk in front of Anderson’s. “Captain Schnieder operated the first large-scale newspaper business on the Corner. He was a large, jovial, one-armed German and he met the very early trains with his dog and a two-wheeled push cart. He would stack the packaged newspapers on his cart and push it up West Main Street to Anderson Brothers Book Store. There he stacked them on wooden strips along the sidewalk, under the shelter, and began selling newspapers at 7:00 a.m. every morning.”
Schnieder’s specialty was “curbside service,” Eddins wrote. “Captain Schnieder would select the correct paper and rush to the vehicle to deliver it personally,” the book reports. Schnieder’s business was continued inside Anderson’s by Harold Diggs after the captain’s death.
Another Anderson’s secret? Behind the building, a pool hall served as a gym for the UVA boxing team. Gilliam said, “In [the] back of Anderson’s, there’s sort of a big building and the proprietor functioned as the unofficial coach of the boxing team, so it was also a good place to work out.”
According to Gilliam, whose father was a boxer, “In my parents’ time, you wore evening clothes to the boxing matches [and] Mem Gym was always packed. Basketball drew very small audiences in comparison.”
Anderson Brothers Book Store is now occupied by chain drugstore CVS, but students can still stop in for all their necessities just as others did at the popular book store generations ago.
1415 University Ave.
Chancellor’s Drug Store was owned and operated by Sam Chancellor, who was known as an “enthusiastic and dedicated supporter of the University and a considerate business man,” according to Eddins. He was one of the first businesses on the Corner to adopt Coca-Cola products and sell them in mass quantities.
Eddins explained, “Dr. Chancellor’s philosophy was to give, free of charge, Coca-Colas to all doctors, house-staff and interns as long as they were wearing their University Hospital white coats while drinking it.” While the health benefits of Coke have been altogether debunked, there’s no doubt this was a shrewd and profitable business move for Chancellor, Eddins believed.
Gilliam’s first introduction to the Corner came in the summers during World War II when his father would send him and his siblings to live at his grandmother’s house on Virginia Avenue. “The grownups, in exasperation, would say, ‘Stop bothering your sister and go do something.’ So, I would go to the Corner,” he said.
Chancellor’s played a particularly important role for Gilliam during long summer nights.
“My great uncle Ned had retired and was living at his sister’s, my grandmother’s house on Virginia Avenue. Every night at 8:30, the ‘George Washington,’ the elegant principal train of the C&O Railway, would pass under the Beta Bridge, headed west. We would walk up to watch it, and then Uncle Ned would walk us to Chancellor’s for ice cream cones, almost always peach,” Gilliam said.
What was once a unified store with Chancellor Apartments on the top levels is now split between three different tenants, currently including Chase Bank, the Charlottesville Police Department and the Juice Laundry. You can still make out the name of the old drugstore engraved above the doorway between Chase and the police department.
The Juice Laundry, founded by UVA alumni Mike and Sarah Keenan, is a revolutionary business that in some way carries on the spirit of Chancellor – albeit with healthier products.
The Juice Laundry’s mission is to redefine the food business on both the corporate and consumer sides of the equation, Mike Keenan said. The owners seek to look at all components of their business – including where they get their ingredients, how food is packaged and what they do with the waste at the end of the day – in order to better serve the environment and the health of their customers, he said. [Read more here.]
Keenan said he feels a sense of responsibility to the students who come to the Corner, as many are making their own food decisions for the first time. He believes the impact of businesses on the Corner is huge in the lives of those affiliated with the University.
“Not only is it the default place to eat for students, for everyone who works at the hospital [and] for a huge population of people who live in that area, in terms of convenience, it’s really the only place that a lot of people will go during their work day [or] during their school day,” he said.
With two locations in Charlottesville, one in D.C. and one coming soon to Richmond, Juice Laundry is growing quickly and becoming a tradition of the Corner – a location the Keenans couldn’t pass up.
“I remember when I was in school here there were certain spaces that always seemed to be rotating,” Keenan said, “Eventually, something maybe sticks there and becomes a staple of that strip.”
The Corner Now
The businesses on the Corner are more diverse than ever and, according to Gilliam, “the quality of food has risen enormously.” With more restaurant options and retail locations, the Corner is an ever-expanding hub of activity and livelihood for Charlottesville and the surrounding areas.
UVA alumnus Joseph Linzon, co-founder of both Roots Natural Kitchen and the Corner Juice, said his restaurants don’t see each other as competition, but rather a community of people working toward a common goal. For Linzon and his business partners, that goal is to make healthy food accessible and delicious.
“When we attended UVA, the Corner was a place we’d go all the time, but there never used to be healthy options near Grounds. As we began looking for healthy food for ourselves, we found that most juice bars and cafés were limited in their offerings. We decided that we wanted to create and grow healthy food concepts that appeal to everyone, not matter what or how you eat”, Linzon said.
The Corner is still very much the center of student life – a feeling perhaps best captured in the spring during the agonizing games of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament. The final two games of the tournament drew massive crowds to the Corner to watch the heart-pumping plays as the Cavaliers battled their way to the Final Four and the national championship.
After the team’s victory, the streets were full of celebration that continued into the wee hours of the morning, with students, alumni and local residents flooding the intersection of University Avenue and 14 th Street.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is one of the world's most respected centers devoted exclusively to cancer patient care, research, education and prevention. It is located in central Houston in the Texas Medical Center.
MD Anderson was created in 1941 as part of The University of Texas System. The institution is one of the nation’s original three comprehensive cancer centers designated by the National Cancer Act of 1971 and is one of 51 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers today.
U.S. News & World Report's "Best Hospitals" survey has ranked MD Anderson the nation's top hospital for cancer care. The institution has been named one of the nation's top two hospitals for cancer care every year since the survey began in 1990.
Since 1944, more than 1.68 million patients have turned to MD Anderson for cancer care.
MD Anderson’s pathologists change a new patient’s initial diagnosis by another institution up to 25% of the time and cancer staging up to 38% of the time.
MD Anderson’s world-renowned physicians are extensively trained specialists who focus on one type of cancer and one aspect of treatment, giving them unrivaled expertise. 100% of MD Anderson’s surgeons are trained in oncology compared to 30% in community hospitals.
FY20 Patient Care Facts
- MD Anderson cared for more than 151,133 patients
- More than 8,200 patients were enrolled in 1,412 clinical trials exploring innovative treatments.
- MD Anderson provided uninsured or underinsured Texans more than $254 million in uncompensated care.
- More than 22,200 employees, including 1,788 faculty
- 1,360 myCancerConnection volunteers on-site volunteers on hiatus
MD Anderson boasts one of the nation's most esteemed faculties.
Among the institution's educators are:
- 1 Nobel Laureate
- 7 National Academy of Medicine members
- 6 National Academy of Sciences members
- 5 Academy of Arts and Sciences members
- 49 American Association for the Advancement of Science fellows
- 10 Association of American Physicians members
- 26 American Society of Clinical Investigation members
In FY 2020, more than 5,100 trainees participated in MD Anderson educational programs. This included:
- 1,796 clinical residents and fellows
- 753 nursing trainees
- 394 School of Health Professions students
- 329 research trainees
- 477 student program participants
- 412 observers and visitors in special programs
Research at MD Anderson
At MD Anderson , important scientific knowledge gained in the laboratory is rapidly translated to clinical care. MD Anderson is home to one of the world’s largest cancer clinical trials programs, providing patients with access to life-saving investigational drugs before they are approved by the Food and Drug Administration.
In FY 2020, MD Anderson invested more than $973 million in research.
MD Anderson receives millions of dollars in grant funding from the Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) for research, prevention, recruitment and training. MD Anderson received almost $55 million in funding from the Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas in FY20, making it the year’s No. 1 recipient of CPRIT grants.
MD Anderson holds six National Cancer Institute Specialized Programs of Research Excellence (SPORE) grants in bladder, brain, leukemia, lung, ovarian and thyroid cancers.
MD Anderson’s Moon Shots Program™ continues to dramatically accelerate the pace of converting scientific discoveries into lifesaving advances that reduce cancer deaths. Launched in 2012 with six moon shots, the program has been expanded to 13 multidisciplinary teams of cancer experts collaborating and innovating to stop close to 20 types of cancer that collectively account for 63% of cancer deaths annually.
Commitment to Cancer Prevention
Cancer prevention plays a vital role in advancing MD Anderson’s mission to end cancer.
- There were more than 31,000 patient visits to our Lyda Hill Cancer Prevention Center, which provides cancer screenings and risk-reduction services.
- 1,400 people received tobacco cessation services through our Tobacco Treatment Program.
- MD Anderson held 324 cancer prevention education programs in the community.
Music History: Histories and Chronologies
Carnegie Hall is pleased to make its performance archive available directly to the public for online search for the first time. This exhaustively researched database contains records of 50,000 events, both musical and non-musical, that occurred in the public performance spaces of Carnegie Hall from its opening in 1891 to present. As of today, records spanning the period between 1891 and 1950 are now publicly available with more than 15,000 events covered. Additional data will be released on a regular basis.
Searches can be made by keyword, composer, work, performer, date, or date range. Results can be filtered by venue and genre, and search results can be saved or shared through a link or exported to a PDF.